Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chili Turkey Loaf

This was very good! I never made meatloaf in the slow cooker before.....hadn't even thought of it! I didn't have ground turkey on hand, so I used ground beef. I didn't have chili sauce either, so I just used a couple dashes of hot sauce. This recipe also came from "Crock Pot The Original Slow Cooker Slow Cooker Recipes." I would make this again.....in fact, maybe today! I made this one on a Sunday because of the short cook time.

2 pounds ground turkey (I used ground beef because it was what I had on hand)
1 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup Italian-style seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (I used a yellow pepper because I had one!)
1/2 cup Chili sauce (I used a couple dashes of hot sauce because I didn't have chili sauce and I have a 2 year old whose mouth I don't want to burn!)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. horseradish mustard (I used dijon mustard)
4 cloves garlic, minced (I used garlic powder because I can't have regular garlic)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning (I didn't have, so I used oregano, basil and thyme)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
salsa, optional (I didn't use it)

Directions:
Make foil handles-Tear of three 18x2-inch strips of heavy foil or use regular foil folded to double-thickness. Crisscross foil strips in spoke design to place in bottom of slow cooker to allow for easy removal of turkey loaf.

Mix all ingredients except salsa in large bowl. Shape into round loaf; place on foil strips. Transfer to bottom of slow cooker using foil handles. (I just put the foil handles in the slow cooker, then stuck the loaf on top of those.)

Cover, cook on low 5-6 hours.

Serve with salsa on top if desired (I didn't desire!) Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment