Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Apricot Chicken

Oh my GOODNESS was this yummy!!!!  It was SOOO yummy that there were NO leftovers today!  We had an unexpected guest tonight and how cool was it that I had a delicious meal ready in my Slow Cooker!  It was impressive, I'm not gonna lie!  My guest was my step-dad who will be babysitting our daughter the next two nights as my husband and I attend all of our crazy concert-season obligations!  He LOVED the Apricot chicken, as did my husband and daughter!

This chicken was SO easy to make!  I put the sauce together the night before and then in the morning, I put my frozen chicken in the Slow Cooker and covered it with the sauce.  Voila!!

I adapted the recipe from the original recipe I found and I think I made the right choice!  I used my trusty cheap-thighs and the skin was crispy even though I didn't brown it first.  The meat was juicy and incredibly flavorful.  I served it with some rice and beets!  The sweetness of the beats really complimented the sweetness of the chicken and the rice soaked up that yummy sauce!

I need to give a shout-out (Holla!) to all of our new followers!  We've gained 15 new followers in the last 9 days!  How awesome is that?!  Pretty soon the whole world will be Slow-Cooking again!  We're making it happen, one kitchen at a time!  LOL

Ok, now to the good stuff!  Here is the INCREDIBLY easy Apricot Chicken:

Apricot Chicken

Ingredients:
6 FROZEN Chicken Thighs/legs bone-in (any combination of chicken will work!)
1 package Onion Soup mix
1 cup Apricot Preserves/Jam
1/2 Cup Chicken broth
2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp. quick cooking tapioca (this thickens the sauce.....it's great in the crock pot to thicken any sauce, but can omit it if you don't have it)
1 tsp. basil
1/8 tsp. pepper

Directions:
Place frozen chicken in the Slow Cooker.

Mix together remaining ingredients.  Pour over chicken, then turn chicken to coat.  

Cook on low for 8-9 hours.  Enjoy!

Tips:  As I mentioned above, I made the sauce the night before, then in the morning, I assembled.  Took 1 minute at the most.  If you decide to use boneless-skinless chicken, cut the cook time down to about 6 hours. 
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Loved this one too. Was super easy. Will do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is in the crock pot right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long to cook boneless chicken breasts on high?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing!! I have made it twice with chicken and in a pinch with pork (which was just as wonderful) before heading off to the Armada Fair. Paired it with rice and a veggie all times! Everyone loves it, esp. my Hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! So glad you're enjoying this recipe! It would definitely work well with Pork, as you've discovered! I'm glad you're not afraid to try different things with recipes. That's a great thing! Way to go, Ginnie!

      Delete
  5. I love you use the crockpot for your recipes. I make my own baby food too but your recipes seem to contain a lot of added salt (poultry seasoning, onion soup mix)....I am not sure that is a great choice for my little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, most of my recipes do not contain poultry seasoning or onion soup mix. Only a select few do. My cookbook coming out this week will have a recipe for your own onion soup mix, where you can control the amount of salt. It's all about making things work for your family. Every recipe is not for everyone, nor do I cook things high in salt content all the time. Once in a while isn't going to hurt you!

      Delete