Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Jambalya

Even though it's Cinco de Mayo, it felt like Mardi Gras inside my house today!  This Jambalya was Deeelicious!!!  The greatest part about this recipe, besides being super easy, is that I was able to use up the rest of my sausage from my Egg Casserole recipe 2 days ago!  I just LOVE when that happens.  It's so cost effective!

I'm getting right to the good stuff today....

Jambalaya

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless skinless Chicken, chopped into 1" pieces
1 lb. frozen peeled and cooked shrimp, thawed
1/2 lb.turkey sausage (you can use any sausage you like, andouille is suggested in most Jambalaya recipes)
 1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cups Okra, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup Chicken Broth
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. Cajon seasoning
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. hot sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. thyme
Cooked Rice

Directions:
Put all ingredients into the Slow Cooker, EXCEPT the shrimp and rice, and stir.  Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.

Right before you are ready to serve, add shrimp and let cook an additional 5 minutes.

Serve over Rice.

Tips:  I chopped all my ingredients the night before and put them into the Slow Cooker.  I also took the shrimp out of the freezer to allow them time to thaw.  When I came home, I quickly took the tails of the shrimp I purchased, threw them in and gave it a stir.  I made 5-minute rice, and by the time my rice was ready, so was my Jambalaya!


1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment