Monday, May 10, 2010

White Chicken Chili....AGAIN!

This was JUST as good as the first time we had it.  I know Cinco de Mayo was last week, but this put me in the mood!  My daughter gobbled hers up and my husband had seconds of course!  I've posted the picture and recipe again for you below!
White Chicken Chili
Ingredients:
3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 block pepper jack cheese, cut into chunks
1 block Monterey Jack cheese, cut into chunks
1 large onion, chopped
1 16 oz. jar Salsa
1 cup Navy beans
4 cups water
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Directions:
Soak your Navy beans in a large bowl or pot overnight.  Make sure to cover them with about 4 inches of water.

In the morning, drain/rinse your beans.  Pour into your slow cooker with the 4 cups of water.

Add chicken broth, salsa, onions, cumin, salt and pepper to the slow cooker.  Stir and then add chicken breasts.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

Take chicken out and shred it with two forks.  Put back into the slow cooker and add Monterey Jack and Pepper Jack cheese.  Turn on High for 1/2 hour to 1 hour.  

Stir and serve with crushed tortilla chips on top or on the side.
Tips:  I put all ingredients except beans and the chicken in the slow cooker insert the night before.  In the morning, all I did was pour out half of the liquid from the beans, put the rest in the crock pot and add the chicken.  Super easy!
Enjoy!


Print Friendly and PDF

14 comments:

  1. OMG Hope - we made this for tongiht!!! SOOOO delicious!!! Thank you for the recipe, and we will be trying more of yours!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love this too. We forgot to soak the beans, but all came out well. The beans were a bit tougher and didn't melt in your mouth-you had to chew them a bit. But still a great dinner. We had it with spicy chips. Yum, yum! We had enough to freeze too! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got done making this, and I'm eating it right now...it is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing! Is there a certain type of salsa you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carla! It's one of my husband's favorites! I normally use ChiChi's salsa when I cook! :) You can use any kind you like though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you cut the recipe (sometimes even in 1/4 or 1/3) do you reduce the cooking time or still cook for the same amount of time? It is just my daughter and I but I still like to use the crock pot, but hate having so much left over. Some things freeze well and others, not so much. Do you add when your things are freezer friendly? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, don't reduce the cooking time, but do use a smaller slow cooker for sure. They cook best when they are at least 1/2-3/4 of the way full :) I don't mention whether things freeze well or not, but if you ever have a question, just email me or leave a comment :)

      Delete
  7. I'm not a big fan of navy beans, would pinto work okay? How does this freeze? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinto beans will be fine. Yes, it does freeze well :)

      Delete
  8. Probably a stupid question, but how much does a "block" of cheese weigh? Around here, those types of cheese come in both 8 oz and 1 pound blocks. I assume the 8 oz is what you mean, since 2 pounds of cheese would be quite a bit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a stupid question at all! 8 oz. is what I meant. :)

      Delete
  9. about how many people would you say this feeds?

    ReplyDelete