Monday, July 12, 2010

BBQ Pulled Beef Brisket and Sweet Potato Chips 2 ways!

Well, I'm still airing the house out after frying up some homemade sweet potato chips, but let me tell you what my house has smelled like all day!!!!  I put my Brisket in this morning at 8 a.m. and when I came home after my morning workout, it smelled like one of those REALLY good BBQ restaurants!  Oh my gosh!  My mouth was watering all day long!  I swear the neighbors could smell it too!

I really enjoyed making this Brisket.  Not sure I've ever had Brisket before, but it's really tasty!  I will say this is on the spicy side, but a lot of that had to do with the BBQ sauce I used.  If you don't want it quite as spicy, eliminate some of the spicy spices below and use a sweeter BBQ sauce.  We used Open Pit Thick and Tangy Brown Sugar and Honey because I am in love with Open Pit BBQ sauce.  I've had a sick obsession with it for a long time now.  In fact, when I went away to college, my mom was walking through the grocery store and when my step-dad turned the corner, there was my mom, sobbing in the aisle in front of an Open Pit BBQ Sauce display!  I'm telling you, I would drink it if I could!  LOL  I got a little overly ambitious with the BBQ sauce as well and used too much.  Stick with what the recipe calls for! 

Most Pulled Beef recipes call for liquid smoke as an ingredient.  I did not use it because I don't make any other recipes that include liquid smoke and I don't want to waste my money on something I won't use very often!  You can use it if you want, but I really don't think this needed it at all!

The brisket was a little hard to find.  My husband did some of the grocery shopping this week and Meijer did not have any.  The butcher said it's usually in the case, but they were out.  I went back about 4 days later and they were still out.  That's when I turned to our local Italian Fruit and Meat market.  They had it and even cut it to the size I wanted.  Just to give you an idea of cost, it was $5.99/lb.

The sweet potato chips were really easy to make and I made them two ways since I couldn't decide what I was in the mood for....sweet or spicy!  Half of the batch I made with brown sugar sprinkled on top and the other half I made with a mixture of pepper, kosher salt and garlic powder sprinkled on top.  Both kinds were delicious, but my husband and daughter preferred the brown sugar sweet potato chips.

Let's get to the good stuff now!  Here are tonight's recipes for you!

BBQ Pulled Beef Brisket with Sweet Potato Chips 2 Ways
 (Brown Sugar Sweet Potato Chips on left and Spicy Sweet Potato Chips on right)

BBQ Pulled Beef Brisket Ingredients:
2-3 lb Beef Brisket, trimmed of fat
1 1/2 onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups BBQ Sauce 
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
Kaiser Rolls

Brisket Rub:
1 Tbsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Brisket Directions:

The night before, in the insert place the Brisket and then wet the outside with about 1 Tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce.  Sprinkle half of the rub over the top evenly and then press in with your fingers.
Flip the Brisket over and do the same thing to the other side, using the remaining Worcestershire sauce and rub.  

Poor the onions on top and then the BBQ sauce. 

Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.  Shred while still in the insert, but be careful so as not to burn yourself with splashing BBQ sauce.  Serve on Kaiser rolls.  Enjoy!

Sweet Potato Chips 2 Ways Ingredients:
2 Sweet Potatoes, thinly sliced
Vegetable Oil (about half a bottle or less)
Brown sugar to sprinkle on afterward for "Sweet" Chips
or
Mix 1 tsp. Kosher Salt, 1 tsp. black pepper and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder to sprinkle on for "Spicy" Chips

Sweet Potato Chips Directions:
Heat oil in a frying pan, or if you have a deep fryer, god bless you!!!  LOL
When your oil is hot and steamy, add a small amount of chips.  From here, you'll know how to adjust your temp of the oil.  If they brown up right away, turn the heat down a little.  If they're not browing up at all, turn it up a little.  Every stove will be different.

When your oil is right, fry small batches for 2-4 minutes.  Drain them on paper towel and sprinkle with your seasoning right away.

Enjoy!

Happy Slow-Cooking!
Hope


Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Excellent dinner. Luke even liked it. We have plenty for tomorrow too. The chips were great. How do you make them crispier? The spicy ones were my fav. Super easy to make and I even had a deep fryer to use! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete