Thursday, October 7, 2010

Four Bean and Barley Soup

This is probably one of the most delicious soups I have made to date!  Bean and Barley all by itself doesn't sound all that delicious, but I'm here to tell you.....it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Flavorful and Delicious!  I had 1 1/2 bowls tonight!  I haven't had second helpings of anything since I found out I was pregnant!

I've never had Bean and Barley soup before.  I've had Beef Barley soup, so when I saw this recipe, I decided I'd give it a go!  Of course, as always, I made some changes....the biggest being adding beef bouillon cubes when all it called for was water.  What a difference this makes!  It tasted like Beef Barley Soup to me and it didn't have an ounce of meat in it!  This soup is LOADED with things that are good for you!  Everyone in your house is sure to love it!  I can't wait for you to try it!  I'll be making this one again soon for company!  This soup is beautiful and colorful and you'll be proud to serve it!

Before I post the recipe, one more thing......I will not be making Carnitas this week.  They'll come next week.  We've had a crazy week with the hubby being sick and didn't have huge appetites, so we have plenty to eat around here.  HOWEVER, I am having company over on Saturday and I'll be making my very yummy Sloppy Joes again (this was at my step-dad's request!)  I will re-post the recipe for you Saturday night or Sunday!

Now, here's what you came for!

Bean and Barley Soup

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Great Northern Beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
1/4 cup Navy Beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
1/4 cup Pinto Beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
1/4 cup Kidney Beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
1/2 cup  Pearl Barley
2 stalks Celery, choppd
2 carrots, chopped (I used 12 baby carrots!)
3/4-1 onion, chopped
1 pkg. baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
2 oz. fresh spinach (I used part of a 5 oz. pack and took 2 handfuls out)
8 cups water
5 Beef Bouillon cubes
2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Directions:

Place all ingredients EXCEPT SPINACH in the Slow Cooker, stir and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours.

5 minutes before you're ready to eat, add the spinach and stir.

Serve and enjoy!!!!!

TIPS:
You do not have to use four different types of beans.  The original recipe called for just Northern Beans, but I have to tell you, it was really nice to have the variety of beans in this soup!  I had all these beans in my cupboard, so I just went for it!  It was a good choice, but not totally necessary.  

If you're busy in the morning, put everything except for the beans you're soaking in the Slow Cooker insert the night before.  In the morning, drain and rinse the beans, add them and stir!  You're good to go!
Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Hope-

    Do you drain the can of diced tomatoes or no? Just double-checking. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we tried this tonight and my husband, who HATES beans loved it! He said to tell you good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic! Tell him "thanks!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size can of diced tomatoes did you use? I only have a large one, so I am wondering if I should just use half, or throw the whole thing in there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsay,

    Sorry I wasn't able to comment back right away. I used the smaller can...14.5 oz maybe?! I can't remember, but not the big can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you use canned beans?

    ReplyDelete