Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Slow Cooker Applesauce

This was so delicious and incredibly easy!  If you can peel and slice an apple, you're golden!  It was just my daughter and I tonight and we ate our Applesauce for dessert!  She LOVED it!  She had two helpings! :)  Makes a mom happy to know her daughter thinks Applesauce is dessert! :)  One of my proud moments!


I found my particular Applesauce to be a bit tart, but I think it's because I added a bit too much lemon juice.  I ended up adding some white sugar to mine and it fixed it instantly.  I've adjusted the recipe below to what I think will work best for you, but as always, please feel free to adapt to your families needs and tastes!


I made Apple Leather with the remainder of my Applesauce.  It is INCREDIBLE!!!!!   It is everything I hoped it would be and took me right back to my child hood when my mom would buy them for me once in a while as a special treat!  I plan on making this pretty often!  I'm going to make another batch of applesauce next week (a double batch) so I can eat more and make more Apple Leather!!!  I've posted a link below to the original directions I found and I've also posted my directions with pictures.


Slow Cooker Applesauce



Ingredients:
5 lb. Apples (I used McIntosh because that's what my husband bought!)
1/4 cup water
2 tsp. Vanilla
3-4 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1/4 cup or less of White Sugar (you can leave this out, or adjust for your family's needs)
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon

Directions:


Peel, core and slice all of your apples and place the slices into the Slow Cooker.

Add the water, lemon juice, vanilla, brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon to the Apples.  Give it a quick stir.

Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.

Mash with a Potato Smasher.

Apple Leather:
(If you would like the original directions, please Follow this link!)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and butter it.

Spread a layer of your Crock Pot Applesauce out on the parchment paper....about 1/8" thick.

Cook in the oven for 10-18 hours or until the leather is no longer moist.  
Mine took just over 15 hours to get to this point!  BE PATIENT!!  Relax and enjoy your day while it does it's "thing!"

Here's what it looked like when I took it out of the oven.

I cut this into about 3 inch strips width wise and then cut it in half once lengthwise.  I'm storing mine in a ziploc bag because I don't plan on it lasting very long in my house!  Hey, I'm pregnant and on bed rest!  LOL  I need something healthy to eat! ;)  If you want to store it longer, put it into an air tight container in a dark place.  It will keep a long time that way.

Enjoy! Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy and SO easy! I love that part! :) Can't wait to try it. Thanks for all you do to make our lives easier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part was peeling the apples, but I used my handy dandy Apple Corer/Slicer/Peeler, so it was kinda fun! LOL
    I can't wait for you to try this!!!! And you are most welcome! It's easy to make other people's lives easier when you're making your own easier at the same time!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Everyone! I made this again today with Red Delicious Apples and it was SUPER good! :) I highly recommend trying them! I did not add ANY white sugar!

    ReplyDelete