Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spinach and Mozzarella Stuffed Steak with Cabernet Sauce and Potatoes

I was SO excited to try this recipe when I saw Rachel Ray make something similar this past weekend.  I decided to try a "cheaper" version by using Bottom Round Steak that my butcher tenderized for me.  It didn't work out the way I had envisioned!   LOL  I will make this again, BUT (BIG BUT!) I will use the Flank Steak Rachel Ray used!  LOL  My butcher said it would taste totally different, and I thought to myself, "How would I know the difference?!"  Well, there was a HUGE difference.....the biggest being the Bottom Round was DRY!  Very dry!  Ugh!  The "stuffing" was really good though!  So, I will make this again, but with Flank Steak! :)

Spinach and Mozzarella Stuffed Steak with Cabernet Sauce and Potatoes

Ingredients:
1 lb. Flank Steak (thinned in half ALMOST completely lengthwise, and laid out flat)
1/2 cup-1 cup fresh Spinach
1/2-3/4 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Butcher String (twine)
4-5 potatoes, sliced
1 beef bouillon cube
1/2 cup water
1 jar Cabernet Marinara Sauce
1-2 Tbsp. Olive Oil

Garlic Toast slices to serve Steak over!

Directions:
First, cut your butcher strings!  It will make your life easier as you're working.  Mine were about 7" long.  Use your best judgement.
(I cut 5 at first and then ended up cutting like 4-5 more.  Cut extra just in case!)

Salt and pepper your steak.

Lay your Spinach leaves down on the steak.

Lay your Mozzarella cheese over the top of the spinach.

Next begin rolling your steak and tying it.
 Keep going!!!

Heat the Olive Oil in a frying pan.  Sear the steak.

Lay your potatoes along the bottom of the Slow Cooker and salt and pepper them.  Add the bouillon cube and water.
Place your seared Stuffed Steak on top of the potatoes.

Pour the jar of Cabernet Marinara Sauce over the top.

Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 5-6 hours.

Untie and slice your Stuffed Steak.  Serve over Garlic Toast slices.
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment