Friday, July 22, 2011

Fragrant Lemon Rosemary Chicken

I was in and out of the house all day and every time I came home, my mouth watered in excitement to taste this chicken!!!  I had my Girl's Night Out dinner, but I tried it as soon as I walked in the door!  WOW WOW WOW!!!!!  The lemon and rosemary infused tons of flavor all throughout the chicken!  It was heaven in my mouth!!!!!  For my girl's night out girls, this would be PERFECT with the Lemon Tangerine Wine we tasted tonight!!!  Mmm mmmm Mmmmmmmmmm!  This was better than any store bought rotisserie chicken I've ever had!  Oh, and the skin was perfect!  NOT soggy at all!

I promise even the most beginning novice can make this chicken!  I've actually never made one in the slow cooker before.....not sure why!  It's SUPER easy!  Thanks to my good friend Jolyn at Bargains To Bounty, I knew whole roaster chickens were on sale this week at Kroger for $0.69/lb!  So, I rushed out to get some!  I'm so happy I did!

It's probably best I tell you now, you need some twine to tie your bird up a bit.  I found it in the "hardware" section of our local grocery chain.  It's super cheap and you can use it for ALL sorts of things, not just cooking.  If you've never trussed a chicken before, here's a great video showing how!  You will notice only one side of my bird is trussed!  I was seriously strapped for time!

Ok, ready for a super easy and yummy chicken recipe?!!!

Fragrant Lemon Rosemary Chicken
(My hubby took this picture in my absence!)

Ingredients:
3-4 lb. Whole Roasting Chicken (Or smaller!  Whatever will fit in your slow cooker!)
1 lemon, cut into about 4 pieces
4-6 sprigs fresh rosemary
2-3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2-3 Tbsp. Poultry Seasoning
Aluminum Foil

Directions:
Ball up 4 pieces of aluminum foil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker insert.


Take out all of the giblets and rinse your bird under the faucet.  Pat it completely dry with paper towels.

Stuff the inside of the bird with your lemon wedges and sprigs of rosemary.

Truss your bird.

Rub it down with Olive Oil and then sprinkle your poultry seasoning on top all over.
Place your bird on top of the foil in the slow cooker insert.

Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 5-6 hours.
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

20 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, I was drooling over your description:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to try this tomorrow but with Chicken Breasts... Let you know how it turns out. I love lemon in cooking (not baking) so I was happy to see this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'm making some chicken salad with it for lunch tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so so excited for this! Not sure if you remembered or not but I had listed this as one recipe I would like to see made into a slow cooker recipe during the contest a few weeks ago! It's already in my slow cooker and I am so looking forward to dinner tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this recipe last night. The flavor was excellent. The chicken was so tender that it literally fell off the bones. However, I am a little confused about why I needed to use the foil balls in the bottom of my slow cooker. I am sure it was safe, but I felt a little funny about using the liquid that was soaked in the aluminum foil. Thanks for sharing this easy recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The aluminum foil keeps the chicken more together and keeps it from floating in its juices. You can use potatoes or other veggies on the bottom, or just eliminate it if you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you hear back from Jennifer on how this turned out with chicken breasts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried this today and the chicken turned out good, but the skin was soggy... I wonder what I did wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some slow cookers hold more moisture in than others! :( Sorry Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made this tonight & it was fantastic!! Delish and made my house smell like the title "Fragrant"! It was great to come home to such wonderful smell! Enjoyed by all. My husband even said it was "finger lickin' good" LOL! No joke he actually said that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy you enjoyed it Amy! And happy your husband did too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made this yesterday and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Our variation was to put fresh green beans, chopped onion and minced garlic in bottom of pot instead of the aluminum foil. The beans held up the chicken well and tasted great!

    Also I found a good short video on trussing a chicken at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3bieEEYEAk

    Thank you Busy Crock Pot Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you tried cooking this with less cooking time? I've done whole chickens before, and even on low, the chicken falls off the bone at 6 hours for me. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not tried it with less, but I'm nervous about only 6 hours. I would cook at lest 7-8, but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Making this for a Christmas dinner tonight
    It's a 7 lb bird though - here's hoping it all goes well!!

    Thanks for posting - it was super easy to make and sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out fantastic
      Everyone loved it!! I cooked on high for about 7-8 hours and it was to perfection!!

      Making it a small one again tonight for our family :)

      Delete