Saturday, July 9, 2011

Key Lime Cake

Who knew!?  Cake in the Slow Cooker????  And not just cake, Key Lime Cake!!! Yummmmm!!!!  This cake turned out to be incredibly moist and was actually super easy to make!  It was limealicious!  I sprayed a lot of Pam in my Slow Cooker liner and after running a knife around the edges, the cake fell right out when I turned the liner upside down!!!!

The frosting for this cake was super easy to make and not too sweet!  The cake is sweet enough and you want to be able to eat a lot of it, right?!!!!  ;)

I am making a change to the recipe because I thought my cake tasted a bit too eggy.  My change is reflected below, so you don't have that problem when you make it! :)

Why cook it in the slow cooker and not the oven?  Well, for me, I think it's AWESOME to say I did it in the Slow Cooker!  You may not think so, LOL.  Of course, the edges get a little crispy, but it's really no big deal.  It still tastes really good.  I hope you get brave and give it a go!

I would like to thank Mary-Stewart for providing me with this recipe and inspiring me to give it a go in the Slow Cooker! 

Key Lime Cake


Ingredients:
1 Lemon Cake Mix
1 box Lime Jello
3 Eggs
1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup orange juice

6 Tbsp. Confectioners Sugar
1/2 cup Lime Juice

Icing:
8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioner sugar
3 Tbsp. Lime Juice

Directions:
Spray your Slow Cooker Liner with non-stick spray.
Mix the first 5 ingredients and pour into your slow cooker liner.
(Yes!  It's green!!!)

Cook on LOW for 2 hours, or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.


Turn off the Slow Cooker.
Mix the 6 Tbsp. Confectioners Sugar with 1/2 cup Lime juice.
Poke holes in the cake all over with a toothpick while still in the Slow Cooker.

Pour the lime juice mixture over the top and let the cake cool.

Mix together all of the frosting ingredients.

Turn your liner upside down on a serving platter to remove cake from the liner.

Frost your cake.

Serve and Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

25 comments:

  1. This sounds DE-LISH! But, just to clarify, is it a regular 13x9 size cake mix? And, Lime jello, small box, or large??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a regular store bought box of cake mix. And use small box of jello, not the large one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why cook it in the slow cooker instead of the oven? To not inject all that heat from the oven into your house when it is 90 degrees outside!! That is the one thing I hate about summer - not wanting to bake when it is so hot outside and the AC is working overtime already. This is GREAT! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe states use 3 eggs. Photo shows 5 eggs.
    Which is correct. Also, it looks very difficult to remove from cooker. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Use 3......if you read my review above, I mention how my cake tasted too "eggy"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I use an oval slow cooker instead of a round one?

    Also, does it matter if the inside of the cooker is non-stick instead of ceramic?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Use whatever shaped slow cooker you have :-)

    Most are ceramic these days, so I'm not sure what non-stick will do to your cooking time. Just keep an eye on it. And lucky you! Non-stick! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am ready to make it and for my family to try it..I am sure it will be a big hit at my house..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put it directly into the s.cooker and not into a container inside of the s.cooker. right?Can I use a crock pot instead? Do you know the difference? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A slow cooker and a crock pot is the same thing.

      Delete
  10. I cooked mine directly in my crock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Psst! Lime and key lime are not the same. You will enrage the Floridian masses...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The recipe calls for three eggs yet there are five eggs in the bowl....what is it, three or five?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read what I wrote above, I said I used 5, but it tasted too "eggy." So, I recommended using only 3 instead :)

      Delete
  13. I would like to bake mine in the oven. What temp. and how long? This is so I can have a round cake as I only have an oval crockpot and don't want that shape. Thanks for your help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know. Maybe try following the box instructions for baking it? Sorry.....I'm only a slow cooker expert ;)

      Delete
  14. ooo, i am going to try this tonight! i have to watch my sodium, but all baked goods are so naughty, this is going to be worth it ;) I'll skip the cream cheese tho.... sure, like thats going to help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What size slow cooker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 6.5 Quart crock, but 5 Quart+ would work!

      Delete
  16. why use a cake mix and jello powder? yuck, that's not home baking, that's using short cuts that make no sense & cost more and taste...well, not as good, plus are full of preservatives and artificial coloring....don't people realize that is not good to put "unnatural" products into out bodies and our children's bodies....let's get healthy, not cater to the masses of products out there that are harmful to us....just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody is pushing this recipe on you. If you don't like it, don't make it. I happen to think it's a lovely recipe and am going to try it as soon as my crock pot gets here!

      Delete