Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mexican Breakfast Casserole

I really wanted to do something with Chorizo, so this is what I came up with!  It was very good!  My husband and I ate 2 helpings each!  Ella, well, she was in a "mood," like she so often is these days! (I love my child, I love my child, I love my child....LOL Oh, how I adore the "threes!")  I must say, it doesn't look the greatest, but I promise it's packed with flavor!

This is definitely a recipe you could put in before bed and wake up to in the morning, or, you could have it for dinner like we did!  Best of all, it really is very simple to make and I promise, you'll want to do more with Chorizo after trying this!

Mexican Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients:
8 Eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
3/4 cup Picante Sauce (I used Pace Mild) - this equals about half a jar
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese, separated
1/2 jalepeno pepper, seeds removed, minced
1 cup frozen corn
9 (or more) corn tortillas (I used the small ones)
7 oz. (or so) of Chorizo, removed from the casing

Directions:
Mix together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.

Stir in the picante sauce, onions, jalepeno, corn and 1 cup shredded mexican cheese

Spray your slow cooker liner with non-stick spray.
Line the bottom with approximately 3 corn tortillas
(I used my 3 Quart Slow Cooker, but if you have a bigger one, it might take more!)

Pour half of the egg mixture over this and then crumble half of your Chorizo on top.

Repeat this process with another layer of tortillas, egg mixture and the remaining chorizo.
Top with a final layer of tortillas and the remaining cheese on top.

Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours, or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Surprised nobody hacommented yet. This was incredible. I have been looking for a good chorizo recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Benny! I'm so happy you enjoyed and it! And thank you for taking the time to leave a comment for me!

      Delete