Monday, September 26, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

Oh my goodness, was this delicious!!!!!  I am so happy I saw some random picture of Baked Potato Soup a few weeks ago and couldn't stop thinking about it!

My husband and I both had 2 helpings and Ella LOVED that she could "decorate" her own bowl of soup!  (She didn't want to try it until I told her about the special decorations!)  Your kids will LOVE decorating their own soup too!  I posted a picture below of her (in our terribly messy kitchen, sorry!) making her bowl perfect!

Now, the best part of this?  I found a really cool way to cube potatoes really easily and quickly!  Who knew a French Fry gadget could assist in cubing potatoes?!  It came to me in a vision yesterday, so I tried it!  Guess what?!  It worked!  That, plus the rest of the easy ingredients makes this soup incredibly easy to put together.  I assembled everything the night before, stuck the crock insert in the fridge and then pulled it out in the morning before I left and turned it on.  This is one of those meals you can cook for a long time and it won't hurt anything.  So, if you're going to be away for 10 hours or so, this would be a great choice for you!

Here's a little tip for you:  I bought pre-cooked bacon.  Yes, who would have thunk that, huh?  I did NOT feel like cooking bacon and dealing with that mess when I got home.  So, I bought a package of the pre-cooked stuff and it will be just enough for our 2 nights of this meal!  It was so easy and it might make your evening a bit easier too!

I hope your family enjoys this as much as ours did!

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients:
6 Potatoes, peeled and diced (a fun tip on how to do this below!)
1 onion, chopped
1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
3 cups Water
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Basil
1/3 cup Light Sour Cream
1/2 block Cream Cheese, divided
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes

Toppings: Bacon, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Lite Sour Cream, Chives

Directions:
First, to easily dice potatoes for a soup like this, use a handy dandy French Fry cutter to the potatoes into sticks first.





Next, chop your sticks into little cubes!
Voila!

Now, back to the directions....
Place your potatoes and onions into the Slow Cooker.

Top that with your chicken bouillon cubes and cream cheese.

In a bowl, mix together the soup, sour cream, water, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and basil.

Pour that mixture over the potatoes and onions.

Cook on LOW for 9-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
My cream cheese was still in chunks when I came home, but I just stirred a little bit and it meted right in!
To thicken the soup a bit, take a potato smasher and smash your soup up a bit.

Now, it's time to have fun!  Put your toppings in bowls and "decorate" your bowls of soup with bacon, sour cream, shredded cheddar and chives like my daughter did!

Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

21 comments:

  1. She is just too cute, Hope! Thanks for sharing this deliciousness! I think we will be having it for dinner Wednesday night! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michele! Let me know how it turns out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMM your's looks more simpler than mine !! Hmmmmm I think I may like yours better !!! Haha thanks for posting !

    PS We decorated our bowls almost the same way !! <3 GMTA !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! You really need to start a crockpot cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great minds think alike!!!! LOL

    Thanks Amber! I will get there, I promise! Just need a bit more time to get a cookbook together! Life is a tad busy right now working full-time, being a mom and doing this too! It's definitely one of my goals though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this on Tuesday and it was wonderful! Very flavorful and filling. Even my picky husband liked it. Thanks for the recipe and blog. We will be trying other recipes very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so yummy. I also added 1/2 a cauliflower for an extra vegetable. My 3 1/2 yr old girls loved it and I made a second batch the next day for the freezer. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. bsburn - glad you liked it! You are welcome!

    BusyMama - great idea! Love that your 3 1/2 year old enjoyed it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you thought it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so yummy!!
    I use a Vidalia Chopper to dice veggies. We make our own hash brown for a big breakfast at least 2x a month and dice the potatoes with it. I also use it to dice potatoes and carrots for Cheeseburger soup and any other recipe that uses diced / chopped veggies. Yesterday I made chicken rice soup & diced a 1 lb bag of carrots in a couple minutes. It's a great time saver and has a collection bin. My 8 yo can even dice veggies while I do something else.
    BarbL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barb.....I just looked that up......I now have to have one!!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I make Potato Soup,I don't fry bacon either, I buy the real bacon bits in a package and sprinkle on the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to try this soup, my husband loves potato soup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bake my bacon in the oven. No greasey stove top. I line a cookie sheet with foil, place bacon on it, bake at 350° for 20-30 min until crispy. Remove from pan right away to paper towel lined plate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious, heading to the store for a couple of missing items, so I can make it tonight! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made this tonight and had it with a salad. It was delicious. My husband had an idea of adding some diced ham so we may try that next time

    ReplyDelete