Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Decadent Sweet Potato Casserole


Holiday Recipe Header

Wow, wow, wow, wow, W-O-W!!!!!!!!!!!!  There really are not very many words to describe how incredibly awesome this casserole was!  It's a side-dish and dessert all in one!  

I've always been a huge sweet potato fan, but man oh MAN!  This was seriously delicious!  I'm not gonna lie, this is not lo-cal!  LOL  Not at all, but who's counting calories when they're setting out to make a DECADENT Sweet Potato Casserole?!!!  

 Personally, I feel this casserole tasted better warm, not hot.  When it was hot, it really took away from the flavor.  As it cooled a little bit, it tasted JUST RIGHT! :)

Don't forget about Ginger's take on Sweet Potatoes from Crock Pot Recipe Exchange.  Her Slow Cooking Through the Holidays Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole can be found here.  It looks seriously delicious as well!

Decadent Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:
2 apples, peeled, cored, sliced and chopped
4-5 Medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups (about) Mimi Marshmallows

Directions:
Place your apples in a bowl.
Add your sweet potatoes to that.

Next, mix together the vanilla, melted butter and brown sugar.

Sprinkle the cinnamon onto the sweet potatoes and apples.

Pour your butter/vanilla/brown sugar mixture over your sweet potatoes and apples and mix.  
Dump them into your Crock.
Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.

About 1-1 1/2 hours before serving, Turn your slow cooker to HIGH, take 3-4 paper towels and stick them underneath the lid of your slow cooker.
This will help absorb a lot of the moisture and thicken your casserole.

About 5 minutes before serving, add your marshmallows to the top.
They will melt and look like this:

Serve and ENJOY!

Print Friendly and PDF

35 comments:

  1. I just brought this to our church's thanksgiving potluck and it was a huge hit. The pot was empty. A good sign. I loved it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning to make this for xmas! :-) what size crock pot should I use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babygiven, I used my 6.5 Quart, but I think a 4-5 Quart would work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you sooo much! SO excited to try this! :-) you rock! Merry Christmas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are most welcome! Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have to put the apples with it? Also, can you use canned sweet potatoes/yams ... minus the liquid in the can? I have some to use up ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra,
    You do not have to put the apples in. Also, canned would work, but you can cut the cook time down by at least half I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great :) That's what I needed to know ... would you adjust anything else when using the canned?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, I think you should be good otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What if I am traveling 2.5 hours - can I cook it the full 10 hours on low and put the paper towels in while we are traveling and it is unplugged, then put on warm and add the marshmallows when we arrive?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm wondering about possibly cooking in crockpot until the marshemmlow step, then plating in a caserole dish, adding marshmellows (mm and maybe pecans too) and broiling to get those brown. has anyone tried?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot all about this recipe. This would be the perfect season and weather to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I doubled the recipe and used for an office potluck! It was a hit. The recipe has been shared!!
    Thank you for a great "easy" recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only thing I was worried about was once you scoop off the top the marshmallows will be gone and you'll just have the sweet potato mixture left. And some people might not get any marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had an issue with that.....just as if you were to cook it in a casserole dish, you might worry about the same thing.

      Delete
  16. This was a hit at my office Thanksgiving pot luck! EVERYONE wanted the recipe! DELICIOUS! So good, that I am making it again for my Family thanksgiving!!!! Thanks so much for this! Again AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're very welcome!

      Delete
    2. I'm making this tomorrow! I've been commanded to make this for the past 3 Thanksgivings!

      Delete
  17. WHat type of apples do you use red or green

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there!
    Thanks so much for sharing this. I am not the most experienced cook but made this for Christmas last year and now I have to bring it to every family holiday, by request! It's delicious!! Question. What are your thoughts on adding 1 to 2 lbs of stew beef in with this?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just made this for Thanksgiving and I'm not sure what I did wrong but it did not turn out yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's unfortunate! I've made it many times and never had a fail!

      Delete
  20. I am a newbie cook (at 40 years old)! But I just followed this recipe and it was PERFECT! I had to double the sauce because I ended up with A LOT of sweet potatoes and apples. It was SO GOOD!! More like a dessert!! It was my first contribution to T-giving...and I am required to make every year now! Thank you for this!!

    ReplyDelete