Thursday, December 8, 2011

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

Photobucket


When I announced to my husband that I was going to be making a Butternut Squash Soup, he said "Oh, goodie!"  (In a very sarcastic tone, of course!)  My husband is the type that orders the same thing every time we go to a restaurant and never ventures out.  Boy, was he glad he ventured out today!

First of all, this soup smelled INCREDIBLE as it cooked today!  My belly was growling every time I walked into the kitchen.  This soup was super simple to put together.  Nothing has to be finely chopped or look a certain way because it all just gets pureed in the end!  It's kind of fun to throw rustically chopped things in and just walk away!

I think you'll enjoy the creamy and smooth texture of this soup.  It's thick enough to feel hearty (and to stick to some great bread you might want to dip into it!) but thin enough to slide right down your throat and warm you up from the inside out!  It was naturally sweet and savory all at the same time.  It was PERFECT accompanied by some nice sour dough bread.

This would be a FANTASTIC addition to you gathering during this Holiday Season!  Your family will be amazed at the fancy soup you made by scratch!  So, go ahead.....IMPRESS them!  You won't be sorry!

TIP: Don't use a Reynolds Slow Cooker Liner with this soup like I did if you will be using an immersion blender.....you may end up with bits of plastic in your soup.....just sayin'! ;)

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup


Ingredients:
1.5 lb. butternut squash, cut into chunks
1 small onion, quartered
1 carrot, cut into chunks
1 small sweet potato, cut into chunks
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. ginger
3 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
3 cups water
1 cup heavy cream or half and half

Directions:
Peel your butternut squash, cut it in half and remove the seeds.

Next chop it up into 1/2"-1" cubes and place them in your crock.

Add you onions, carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, salt, pepper, bouillon cubes and water.

Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.

Using an immersion blender, puree your cooked ingredients. (If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully transfer the contents of your crock into a blender.  Blend them with a thick towel over the top of your blender, so as not to have hot liquid explode on you and then return the contents back to the crock.)

Take about 1/4 cup of your pureed soup and mix it well with your cup of heavy cream.  This will temper the cream and keep it from curdling.
Pour your tempered cream into your soup and mix well.

Serve with some Sourdough Bread.
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. I've had great luck with a similar recipe but with sweet potato & sour cream added, along with a little ginger and curry powder. Didn't make it in the crockpot, but will try that next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, good thing you said something to me! I did add ginger and sweet potato.....just forgot to list it! Thank you for reminding me! LOL Have I mentioned I've been under the weather AND have a sick baby too? My head is not all there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butternut squash soup is one of my favourite foods. It smells divine and tastes even better!

    I've never put sweet potato in it - will try that next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monkey, it is delicious isn't it?! I had sweet potato, so that's what I used!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soundswonderful and it certainly is easy to do. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Mary! So glad to have you here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe looks wonderful! I'd love it if you submitted it to us here at Gooseberry Patch for possible inclusion in a new slow cooker cookbook. Just follow the link for simple directions! Thanks!

    http://www1.gooseberrypatch.com/gooseberry/recipe.nsf/f.sharearecipe

    ReplyDelete