Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Creamy Chive and Onion Mashed Potatoes

Photobucket

When Ginger and I from Crock Pot Recipe Exchange started planning our Slow Cooking Through the Holidays series, we both had Mashed Potatoes on our list!  Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food!  Whether you like them creamy or lumpy, these mashed potatoes are sure to leave you wanting MORE!!!

When I go to my mom's house around the holidays, she usually has something on every burner of her stove and a packed full oven.  You KNOW something is going to boil over when you're using every cooking surface in your home!  What a mess!!!   Guess what?!  I didn't have that kind of mess going on in my house!  I used my slow cookers and my stove and oven stayed clean!

So, who knew you could make mashed potatoes in the slow cooker?!  I have to admit, I let Ginger try it first!  LOL  They worked out wonderfully for her, so I followed her lead!

A few years ago....well maybe more than a few years ago, LOL.....I helped my sister with Thanksgiving dinner and came to her with a recipe for make-ahead mashed potatoes.  They had butter, sour cream and cream cheese!  Heart-stopping really!  Well, they were really good, so that's what inspired me to make these mashed potatoes.  We are huge fans of Chive and onion cream cheese here, so I knew my mashed potatoes had to include that!  They were simple and incredibly flavorful!  We all LOVED them here!  I brought the leftovers to my sister's family gathering the next day and they were just as good!  I can't wait for you to try them!

Here are Ginger's Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes too!  Don't they sound great?!  If my stomach could tolerate fresh garlic, I would be ALL over these!!!!

Creamy Chive and Onion Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:
4 lb. Potatoes, peeled and cubed
water (I used about 6 cups in my 3 Quart Slow Cooker)
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
4 Tbsp. Butter
1/4-1/2 cup milk
8 oz. Chive and Onion Cream Cheese
1.5-2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Directions:
Place your potatoes in your Crock and cover with water completely.  Add your bouillon cubes.
Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until they are tender with a fork.

Drain them and as Ginger suggested, wash out the inside of your crock with HOT water.  You don't want to crack your crock.....that would not be good!
Return your potatoes to the crock.  Add the butter and milk, salt and pepper.

This is where you can either use a good ole' fashioned potato smasher or use an immersion blender (which is what I used)
Next add your cream cheese, (and a bit more milk if needed like I did until you reach your desired consistency) and mix until well-blended.
Don't they look delicious?!
They were! LOL
I kept mine on WARM for a few hours and they were just fine!
Serve and Enjoy!


Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments: