Monday, January 30, 2012

Beer Chili

I can't remember how the Beer Chili idea came to be.  I think one of you mentioned it recently, but I'm not positive.  Either way, it was a very good idea!  This was a delicious and very fulfilling Chili.  The aroma all day was WONDERFUL!  On first taste, I could really taste the beer.  It was scrumptious!

If you're a real beer conosour, (unlike me) you can really cater the flavor of your soup with the type of beer you use.  I used a New Castle my husband had in the fridge downstairs, but I'm sure a darker beer would be lovely!

I think you'll find you have all the ingredients (or most) right in your pantry/fridge already!  I did.  With a little help from my little helper, we whipped this up in no time.  If you have hectic mornings like me, you'll want to prep everything the night before and assemble it into your crock.  Put it into your refrigerator and then in the morning, place the crock into your slow cooker base and turn it on.

This Beer Chili was on the spicy side.  If you don't want as much spice, you can cut the cumin and chili powder in half.

You may wish to serve this with some delicious sweet corn bread muffins like I did!  Here is the recipe I followed.  I had ALL of the ingredients and didn't have to spend a penny! :)  Yay!

Beer Chili

Ingredients: (Serves about 4)
1/2 lb. Ground beef, browned with salt and pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 15.25oz. can black beans
1 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
4 oz. tomato sauce
1 12oz. Beer (you choose the type)
1 beef bouillon cube
1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder

Directions:
Get your beef cooking with some salt and pepper while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
Place you onions into your crock.
Next, pour in the black beans and diced tomatoes.
Add the tomato sauce, bouillon cube, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and chili powder.
Now, add the beer!
Finally, add the ground beef and stir.
Cook on LOW for 7-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
Enjoy with some yummy cornbread!

Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this beer chili recipe. I think this could be a hit for game day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good going to try this next week! I have all the ingredients too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the cornbread, it looks like you made them as muffins. If so, did you have to change the cooking temp or time?

    The chili looks good. I'll have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete