Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Oh, Y-U-M!!!!!!  Seriously!  No, for real! There were just 2, count them, 2 ingredients!!!!  It doesn't get ANY simpler than that!  You HAVE to make these!  You will feel like a total rock star in the kitchen when you make these.

I would like to thank my ultrasound tech 2 weeks ago for suggesting this to me!  What an awesome idea and an incredibly flavorful slow cooked meal!  You should serve these for company because they won't be able to stop telling you how good these are!

Now, word of warning, these are a bit spicy.  Although, I suppose if you find mild pepperoncinis, you can control the heat a bit more here.  My daughter was a good sport and tried the meat.  She instantly asked for a drink.  I give her credit for trying, but I didn't make her eat them.  She had her sandwich sans meat!  LOL  You'll see a sandwich in the picture below with "orange" (American) cheese on it!  That would be hers!

It was a tiny bit of working opening each pepperoncini, scraping the seeds out and pulling the stem off, but I'll tell you what, it was SOOOOO worth it!  My ultrasound tech did say they do sell the pepperoncinis with the seeds already removed.  If you can find them, buy them! :)

Now, grab your coat and head to the grocery store after you read this!  LOL

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Ingredients:
2.5-3.5 lb. Boneless Bottom Round Roast (but you can use a different cut)
1 16oz. jar pepperoncinis

Sub buns
butter
Provolone Cheese

Directions:
Place your bottom round roast in the bottom of your crock.

Pour the juice from your pepperoncini jar over your roast.
Remove all the seeds (that you can) and stems from your pepperoncinis.  I cut mine in half and scraped the seeds out with my fingers and gently removed the stems.  It wasn't hard.
Place all of your pepperoncinis on top of your roast.  (There will be some juice left on your cutting board that you can carefully pour into your crock too!)
Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.

Take your beef and pepperoncinis out and shred them.

We toasted our mini-sub buns with a bit of butter and cheese.  I placed them in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

Once your buns are done (hee hee hee), place some of your Italian Beef on top and serve!
Enjoy!
Submitted to Foodie Friday!

Print Friendly and PDF

16 comments:

  1. Would it be ok to use the sliced pepperoncinis?

    Hope you start feeling better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the garlic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Stephanie. And thank you!

    MommaMary, feel free to add garlic. I cannot do fresh garlic for digestive reasons! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so yummy! I can't wait to eat dinner tonight. I used the slice pepperoncini and added onion to it plus seasoned the meat before putting in the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great! I couldn't find the sliced pepperoncini.....I looked and looked. Oh well! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great dish!!! Thanks again. We love it-we actually cut the roast in half used one half for sandwiches and the other for roast and potatoes. My husband put mayo and green peppers on his-I liked mine plain. Very very good!
    -Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not know if this had a huge effect on the taste because it was very delicious but we used a can of sliced pepper rings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was great will make again! I've tried many of your recpies! As a busy mom myself I find your site to have great ideas and I have not been dissappointed yet, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to have stumbled upon your site! As a busy mom myself, I've been looking for ways to have healthy home-cooked meals on the table without a lot of time in the kitchen. I'm looking forward to trying the Italian Beef Sandwiches. They look delicious!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Kristy!!! You will love them! Be sure to report back!

      Delete
    2. I am dying to make this dish, it looks tasty!!! But, do you have any ideas of what I could use instead of the pepperoncini's. I don't like spicy at all but i would still like to try this recipe!!

      Delete
    3. Try a jar of mild banana peppers :)

      Delete
  10. I make this using a jar of mild sliced pepper rings and a packet of Italian seasoning! We love it and it's a big hit when I bring to family get togethers!

    ReplyDelete