Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Blackberry Pulled Pork Shoulder

Blackberries were on sale 2 for $0.50 this week, so I needed to put them to good use!  I could have gone the "safe" route and made a dessert with them, but I really felt I needed to do something wild and crazy!  So, that's how this came to be!

Tastefully Simple makes a delicious Pomegranate Chipotle Sauce, so I decided to make something similar!

I will say this, I did not really taste Blackberries in the end.  Not at all really.  The pork was kind of sweet, but didn't end up with a thick sauce like I had anticipated (hoped, really!)  I think if I had used a leaner cut of meat, like a loin, I would have gotten the result I desired.  HOWEVER, this was actually quite delicious!  There was just a hint of sweetness to the meat and a tiny bit of zing from the red pepper.  Next time, I'll add more red pepper since it kind of got lost!

Again, I got to use my fun new Breville chopper, blender, mixer thingy!  It's so cool!!!

I HIGHLY recommend adding the Bread and Butter Pickles to your sandwiches like we did!  It was SOOOOOO yummy!

Tip:  Personally, I like how the juice from my pork soaked my Kaiser Roll, but most of you probably won't appreciate it.  Here's what I suggest, after you shred your pork, discard about half-3/4 of the liquid you have in the crock.  (Just don't lose all your onions!  You might want to pour it out through a strainer.)

Tip 2: The night before, do all the prep work and stick your crock in the refrigerator.  In the morning,  place the crock into your slow cooker and turn it on!  Easy Peasy!

Ok, I really hope you try these.  They were delicious and definitely something different!

Blackberry Pulled Pork Shoulder

Ingredients:
2-3 lb. Pork Shoulder (or a pork loin roast would work great)
1 large onion, chopped
2 pints fresh blackberries
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper (but I would go for 1/2 tsp. next time!)
1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar

Directions:
Place your pork shoulder in the bottom of your crock.  Cover it with your onions.

Wash your beautiful blackberries....
then puree them
(I used my awesome new Breville Gadget!)
Next, pass your blackberry puree through a sieve or a mesh strainer.  I don't own a sieve, so mesh strainer it was for me! Use a spatula to push the liquid through.
Don't forget to scrape the outside of your strainer to get the juice stuck to the outside!
(Don't mind my mess!  LOL)
Your beautiful blackberry puree will look like this...
To the puree, add the remaining ingredients.
Stir.

Pour this over your pork shoulder.

Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
Serve on some nice buns with Bread and Butter Pickles!
Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment